Friday, September 26, 2008

12 days until departure

I can hardly believe it. Ten months after seeing Ai Qiang's picture and file, and now we are so close to making Jon Wiley part of our family.




We got our updated itinerary today, and although it still doesn't list our Chongqing hotel, it does contain a wonderful surprise. Our guide for Guangzhou is Kelly, the same guide we had for our entire trip to adopt Devyn in 2005. I am so excited to see her again and for her to see Devyn again. Her daughter was born the same day as Devyn, so I hope we get to see her, too. She was about twice Devyn's size in 2005, so it would be interesting to see how they compare now. Knowing we will have Kelly also provides me a great deal of assurance that the American Consulate process will go smoothly. I still remember our entire travel group sitting in the hotel hallway, completing the myriad immigration forms under Kelly's guidance. I also fondly remember Kelly telling Devyn in English, "Xiao Yu, you are so serious," and then in Mandarin, "I'm going to give you a pig kiss." (Like a snorty kiss.) Then Devyn laughed and laughed, and Kelly turned to me with astonishment and said, "Your baby is very smart!" What a treat it will be to be in her capable hands again. One of the three pics I have of her is not in great focus, but I am taking copies of all of them with me to give her. And I'll be sure to take lots more this time, as we'll probably never see her in person again. Wow.


Kelly, Devyn, and Jolie at the White Swan, May 2005










Kelly Wu and her daughter, May 2005

1 comment:

Truly Blessed said...

Hi (popping in from RQ forum to see your darling son) and noticed you had Kelly as a guide for your last adoption (and now this one, too). We had Kelly for our first adoption in 11/06 and loved her. We were just back in GZ in June/July for our 2nd adoption (different agency, so no Kelly) and ran into her. She remembered us -- ALL of our names (we traveled as a group of 6 plus our new daughter -- and she remembered everyone!). She is such a beautiful person. She was so happy to see our sweet Katie and was overwhelmed with how big she'd grown since 11/06.

Congratulations on your upcoming journey. I'll be sure to bookmark your blog so I can follow along on your journey to Jon Wiley!